BlueTV Review ~ vs TVPad 4 / HTV3 / Ubox

padmanpadman Moderator
edited June 2017 in Official Reviews
See the full text review here BlueTV Review

Video overview at the bottom of the post.

Purchase link @ cntvpad.com

Feel free to ask any questions.
Post edited by padman on
Thanked by 1veedubjai
Tagged:

Comments

• dinklebergdinkleberg Junior Member
    So this is pretty much the answer if we're in the US and the TVPad4 is down along with YueTv?
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    @dinkleberg Based on what I've played with so far the BlueTV & HTV3 is the only reliable solution at the current time.

TVPad 4 is still working with the cantonese app, I'm not sure about Yuetv tho.
    @dinkleberg Based on what I've played with so far the BlueTV & HTV3 is the only reliable solution at the current time.

TVPad 4 is still working with the cantonese app, I'm not sure about Yuetv tho.
    Which one is the Cantonese app? Would you still recommend going the VPN route?
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    @dinkleberg 港粵網絡電視

If the vpn work for you the I don't see why not. But a lot of people don't want to deal with it as I have seen people asking on the forum why it stop working and such.
    @padman I never tried the VPN method, but I don't really want to deal with it either. Is there an apk file for 港粵網絡電視?
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    @dinkleberg It doesn't work in US
  • This Blue TV is currently selling for $198 on eBay Australia. I worth what is the price in USD and if anyone owns one right now share your experiences vs TVpad4
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    @neonlight BlueTV is basically same as TVPad 4

-Consolidated Storm TV app
    -WAY better remote

• Yes if you have a TVpad 4 and working I suppose its got same hardware specs probably not worth buying?
  • @neonlight BlueTV is basically same as TVPad 4

-Consolidated Storm TV app
    -WAY better remote

can u test the storm tv apk on tvpad4 to see if it work?
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    @neonlight I'll confirm the specs to see if there's any difference.

Although I doubt there is any.
    @padman So between HTV3 and BlueTV, which one would you recommend? I read that h.tv was sued by TVB but they're still up and running.
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    @dinkleberg It's a pretty close race between the two boxes.

Both systems are reliable for live streams.

Although IMO the HTV does have better vod content at the moment. Bluetv isn't far behind though.
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    Just tested the Bluetv. It uses the same banana install method to install 3rd party apks.
  • I am tossing up between BlueTV and HTV as I find the UBox is complete rubbish. I like HTV for its VOD contents and the fact it has been on the market for longer than Blue TV. However, I am concerned with HTV on their recent restricted app market access and the withdrawal of its live tv app. I also noticed the HTV device license could suddenly gets expired which could render the device useless.

I like BlueTV as it is backed by the same company as TVPad but it is the same reason why I am having second thoughts due to the copyright lawsuit and the fact that it is a newly released product albeit BlueTV is essentially the same as TVPad 4. I am worried BlueTV might be a final attempt for the company behind TVPad to money grab after the lawsuit lost.

@padman if you could only have one of them, which device would you choose?
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    edited July 2016
    @BadEgg

Do you mainly watch Cantonese stuff?

Can't lose with either unit. Both are stable.

If BlueTV start offering timeshift on the app then I would recommend BlueTV over the HTV. However no timeshift channels ATM.

Vod

Both does the job well, I think HTV have bigger library (older stuff) at the moment. Newer stuff no difference.

BlueTV loads quicker on VOD content.

Is any elderly going to be using the unit ?

I would give a very slight edge to HTV. Reason being is
    1. Separate section for Live / Vod / Replay. Although it's nice that BlueTV have a consolidated Storm TV app. I feel the interface is a bit "too much" for old people. I actually feel the TvPad4's cantonese app have a better suited layout for old people.
    2. Have a LED status light on the outside of the box to signifies the connection status. It helps with remote troubleshooting
    Lawsuit concerns

I don't think you need to put any concern about their lawsuits. Both companies are "actively" getting sued but I don't think it ever affected their daily operations.

The thing that bug people the most is the lack of communication between the company and the customers. But, that's how Chinese company operate. It's sad...
    When TVPad suddenly shut their service down for Tvpad1-3 without any explanation, it really ticked a lot of people off. Then HTV pulled their main live tv app from the app store without explanation is also worrisome. However, like I said they are a chinese company afterall. Customer service is never their strong suit. :s

Both companies also have the ability to remotely shut a device off from it's serivce, so no need to give HTV a negative point for that.

If you are looking to buy either of the units then take a look at our sponsor. Thomas has been great to our community and his company's support is awesome.
  • @padman

Thanks very much for your thorough comparison of each unit's strengths. I really appreciate it.

Do you mainly watch Cantonese stuff?
    Yes. I mainly just watch Cantonese contents. With mainland Chinese and Taiwan stuff (which I do not watch!) I can still use my UBox to watch them via third party apps as I know they are still working perfectly on UBox. It is just UBox in house apps that are shocking and those are the apps that I need to use in order to access Cantonese contents. It is also Ubox's biggest weakness.

If BlueTV start offering timeshift on the app then I would recommend BlueTV over the HTV. However no timeshift channels ATM.
    Timeshift is not too important to me as I am in Australia therefore unlike for the folks in the US/Canada region, the time difference is only two hours apart.

Both does the job well, I think HTV have bigger library (older stuff) at the moment. Newer stuff no difference.
    I like going through old stuff so I might like HTV more when it comes to VOD. The main thing is which has the better video quality? UBox also has quite old VOD contents but since their system ''upgrade', their video quality has been appalling. Even if rarely the content can be streamed smoothly, the quality seems like 360P at best! Therefore I do not touch them anymore!
    Is any elderly going to be using the unit ?
    I will be the only one who will operate the unit, so user friendliness is not a concern. :) Although my mother did complain about UBox's user interface being too complicated. :expressionless:

When TVPad suddenly shut their service down for Tvpad1-3 without any explanation, it really ticked a lot of people off.
    I was one of those people who felt ticked off! Before my purchase of the UBox, I was a user of a TVPad 3. TVPad just gave me an irresponsible image as they could suddenly shut of their service for TVPad 1-3. That is why even I knew TVPad 4 was working perfectly, I did not even consider it and went straight to buy a UBox. My experience with UBox wasn't great even from the start, and had considered getting a HTV, but after having spent around 200 bucks I decided to wait out for UBox to iron out the bugs. Who knew their quality has not yet improved but keeps going down south! Everytime I turn on the UBox I cringe! :angry:

Then HTV pulled their main live tv app from the app store without explanation is also worrisome. However, like I said they are a chinese company afterall. Customer service is never their strong suit. :s
    This is another reason that is swaying me away from HTV. There seems to be something fishy going on.

If you are looking to buy either of the units then take a look at our sponsor. Thomas has been great to our community and his company's support is awesome.
    I will make sure to buy from reputable suppliers of the units (like Thomas) when I made my decision. I know there are sellers on eBay that sell the units at a lower price. With the abilities of having the devices shutting off from its service remotely without apparent reason, It is better to buy from vendors that know and willing to resolve such issues.

As you have commented none of the tv boxes on the market currently and in the future will be in service forever. I just would like to choose one that is likely to have the longer lifespan with streaming quality that would not make my blood boil. Which unit has the best video quality?
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    @BadEgg From a quick glance the BlueTV have better quality. But I'll do a deeper check tomorrow.
    Thanked by 1BadEgg
  • Just as a clarification. While the BlueTV has been manufactured by tvPad, it does actually not belong to them. So any ongoing and future lawsuits against tvPad most probably won't affect it.
    It does not have any official site and there are not many people out there who know the real owners :)