TVPad partner with TVB?

Just received this via email today, can someone translate this to English please.

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_7effac2f0102wiry.html

Comments

• MmmaruMmmaru Junior Member
    Wow. I sue you then I become business partners with you ? So that's their strategy.

They are advertising the app.
  • SomebodySomebody Junior Member
    I think it means that you can watch tvbanywhere on the tvpad4 as long as you pay for a tvbanywhere subscription.
  • This is not applicable to Canada or US. You have to use VPN and point to Europe or Australia to work and the contents are very limited.

• UKTVPADUKTVPAD Junior Member
    TVBANYWHERE apps can watch TVB , news, dramas ... total 7 channels for free, other China and Taiwan channels have to pay £130 to TVB for activation.
    But who need them, you can get those channels from the TVPAD's own app.
  • UKTVPADUKTVPAD Junior Member
    Video how to install TvbAnywhere into TVPAD4 and a quick intro
  • edited April 2016
    @UKTVPAD you are the owner of phoneunlock.com that charges people £40 to upgrade their TVPad 4 firmware?
  • bamby8bamby8 Junior Member
    edited April 2016
    updated translation provided by a friend.

TVB Anywhere now available in TVpad official store. To give the overseas emmigrants a better Cantonese TV service.

In the grey screenshot:

This TVB anywhere service is specially for TVpad4 users.
    The trial time is limited. If audiences want to continue to watch more than 50 channels, 3000 hours chosen programs, then please call the customer service in your region.

Text in the bottom part:

Shortly TVpad and TVB agreed strategically to collaborate, to develop overseas TV market. According to our information, the focus of this strong-strong collaboration is to exclusively settle the TVB's app, TVB anywhere into the TVpad official app store. Users can install the TVB Anywhere app by themselves. That means there is a great choice besides the existing Cantonese apps. This collaboration is a good example that TVpad will work with more excellent TV content provider apps in the future. More choices, more indemnification, so what are you waiting for? Just open the apps market to experience....

It is also a great way for TVB to determine exactly how many TVpad4 are still in circulation and collate a list of the IP addresses. It is unlikely they'd use the information to pursue individual TVpad4 owners through the courts though.

Looking at it from a different angle, dare I speculate that TVpad is going to cease operations due to continuing decline in new box sales, and TVBanywhere are using this opportunity encourage TVpad4 owners to go legit ??

www.tvpadfans.cn user forum is still down, and at the moment there is no mention of any such collaboration between TVBanywhere and TVpad on www.mtvpad.cn. No TVpad 5 on the horizon and would anyone consider buying one if it was announced?
    Post edited by bamby8 on
  • I think it means that you can watch tvbanywhere on the tvpad4 as long as you pay for a tvbanywhere subscription.
    Correct I think that's a strategy, because TVB knows there's a huge market for people who already have TVpad 4, all they need to do is make you pay subscription
  • Wow. I sue you then I become business partners with you ? So that's their strategy.

They are advertising the app.
    This is why TVpad got removed from the Legal paper notices on recent lawsuit. It is only H.TV, Unblocktech and Moonbox. You see TVB is using TVpad as a platform to promote their TVB Anywhere box.

Potentially either they will make content less and less on TVpad generic apps eg. YueTV what not and slowly transit everyone to TVB Anywhere. I think they are trying to do that. So this way both company benefits, no lawsuits, and TVB gains benefits at the same time. The agreement probably has something like "if you promote our product via your platform than we will not sue you for now"
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    @neonlight TVPad got removed from the lawsuit ?

Aren't these lawsuit completely separately from each other ? The Tvpad lawsuit had a decision last year. The HTV lawsuit just started... So not sure what you mean by TVPad for removed from the lawsuit.

I think you are speculating on false information.
    Thanked by 1tylerlee
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    @bamby8 The TVPad forum was shut down due to "business restructuring". Which I am assuming that's what they meant.

At the same time, it may be worth it for the end user as they don't have to fear their box stop working.
  • @neonlight TVPad got removed from the lawsuit ?

Aren't these lawsuit completely separately from each other ? The Tvpad lawsuit had a decision last year. The HTV lawsuit just started... So not sure what you mean by TVPad for removed from the lawsuit.

I think you are speculating on false information.
    Sure is different but was aimed at TVpad 1 to 3. TVpad 4 is not on the list. And the reason why the default apps are not installed or bundled under TVpad store is because of legal issues. Do you honestly think TVB will allow further apps for TVpad showing TVB anywhere content and promote for them for no reason? I think there's an agreement. No one can confirm this but there's enough evidence to suggest likewise.

TVpad lawsuit last year was from Korea and US dish networks I believe. It was not directly from TVB alone. However the new lawsuit is not from the same group only TVB onto H.TV, unblock and Moonbox. Have you not thought about this? I'm not trying to challenge you, but you need to read the whole thing more clearly.
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    @neonlight So they chose to sue only Tvpad 1-3 and not tvpad 4 ? That make absolutely no sense whatsoever. They are suing the company and not the device.

DISH network is a direct partner with TVB-USA. Which IS TVB. So I'm not sure why you think there is any difference.

The bottom line is TVPad had not and will not pay any fines imposed by these lawsuits. I'm not saying there is no agreement between TVB + TVPad. What I'm trying to tell you is TVPad 1-3 being shutdown had nothing to do with any lawsuit.

Here is the earlier lawsuit by CCTV and TVBUSB: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150319005733/en/DISH-Leading-Chinese-Language-Television-Providers-Sue-TVpad
  • So padman, I'm only giving you another perspective. You don't need to be convinced. Whatever you guys run the forum. You don't need to believe anything. We will see how long H.TV and TVpad can last.
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    edited April 2016
    @neonlight I'm seriously confused on what you are trying to proof or the point you are trying to make.

You are claiming TVPad 1-3 was shutdown because of the lawsuit. But evidence clearly suggest that isn't the case.

We all know htv, moonbox and tvpad are illegal...
  • @neonlight I'm seriously confused on what you are trying to proof or the point you are trying to make.

You are claiming TVPad 1-3 was shutdown because of the lawsuit. But evidence clearly suggest that isn't the case.

We all know htv, moonbox and tvpad are illegal...
    TVpad 1 to 3 did not shutdown solely because of lawsuit. It's cause they want to move to h.265 without supporting old codecs with old infrastructure. Of course they also want money from users which made a lot of people disgruntled. However because it is not just dish network suing them but also Korean TV which TVpad 4 no longer provide hence they are not getting into the same troubles as before with the same party.

I'm suggesting H. TV moonbox and unblock are at more risks than TVpad. And what is the reason they have a TVB anywhere app and advertising for TVB, there's only very limited reasons.

As part of the China government involvement catching Maige TV etc on IPTV boxes they could have done the same to TVpad if they wanted to. However I believe the servers are not in China and also Easy TV app is actually an approval very app from their communications body and available on TVpad.
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    I'm not sure if I completely understand what you are trying to say here. But I remember reading the forum couple of days ago somebody had confirmed their korean tvpad4 is still working.

I can't agree with htv and unblock are "more risk". At the end of the day we all know what we were buying into. Obviously there is no "risk" when you are going to subscribe to TVB directly (ala TVB app). That's a given... But even if that was the case, we didn't have to spend $199US on buying a tvpad 4. After all a $30 android box would work fine if it's just loading the tvb app onto the device.

What I still dislike about tvpad regarding the whole situation is how they still kept their silence. That's what irked and I'm sure a lot of other people the most.
    However because it is not just dish network suing them but also Korean TV which TVpad 4 no longer provide hence they are not getting into the same troubles as before with the same party.
  • bwbw Junior Member
    So will this app work in the USA? Can someone extract the apk from their tvpad4 and post it here?
  • I just tried the TVB anywhere app. My thoughts on this is its purely marketing app constant pop ups to ring and subscribe. It appears TVB official contact numbers are on there and also they are using your Mac address to authenticate. A lot of channels say TVB food or lifestyle all just come up with message tell you subscribe to unlock content.

Basically I think TVB is rolling out this to sell the app without TVB anywhere box. We know TVB anywhere box is not worth it but they are using tvpad platform to advertise and even save money on hardware.

Anyway without having a try on the other channels it's no go. Plus it doesn't have the iCable ones. I don't think it's worth it. There are however some old VODs series worth watching.

Overall not really impressed as its only a trial app and limited content.

Not worth the hassle. I guess you can VPN and get the app via TVpad store.