iPlayer i5 is ending its life

iPlayer i5 will no longer working on their live stream HDTV app at the end of this month due to the system update, they force us to exchange your box to a new system i7 for $99. Would you? I wouldn't period.

Comments

• padmanpadman Moderator
    edited April 2016
    Any link for this ? Sucks that I just recently purchased the i5. But then the player is dead slow...
  • It announced on top of the live app, says will no longer work at the end of April, provide your user ID to exchange a new i7 box for $99.
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    I see. I gave the box to my gf's mom so can't check it.

Will have to look into it further. $99 is not a bad price per se...
    It announced on top of the live app, says will no longer work at the end of April, provide your user ID to exchange a new i7 box for $99.
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    Wonder if the i7 is running a newer os with working apps...
  • Wonder if the i7 is running a newer os with working apps...
    The i7 is a much smaller footprint than its predecessors 70 x 70 x 15mm. You may want to visit the product FB page at www.facebook.com/iplayerhdbox
  • 535four535four Member
    edited April 2016
    Looks like the moonbox and iplayer were really a sister brand on facebook, and i7 need to subscript yearly?

https://www.facebook.com/iplayerhdbox/timeline
    Product Details
    iPlayer i7 Chinese Package includes :
    * iPlayer i7 HD Network Media Box
    * Includes 1 Year service subscription
    * Permanent Yearly subscription fee of RM 180.00/year for yearly renewal
    * i+HK, i+Live, i+TW, i+Sports, i+Playback, HDTV & i+VOD apps
    * FREE 3rd-party apps , ShowBOX, HDP, CIBN, YouTUBE, KODI 16.0 & etc.
  • remyremy Junior Member
    @535four

i don't see the announcement on my box. do you know how i would exchange the box for $99?
    It announced on top of the live app, says will no longer work at the end of April, provide your user ID to exchange a new i7 box for $99.
  • It's when you open the HDlive app. it's show on top of the screen, details on the banner.
    Thanked by 1remy
  • remyremy Junior Member
    @535four

i see the banner now. i don't read chinese :/ but i do see what i think is a telephone number "13088841738". how would i dial up that number from USA?

• vqin88vqin88 Junior Member
    It is a phone number in China. China country code is 86.
    Thanked by 1remy
  • 535four535four Member
    edited April 2016
    @535four

i see the banner now. i don't read chinese :/ but i do see what i think is a telephone number "13088841738". how would i dial up that number from USA?

Edit..
    There is a English banner too, just wait until the Chinese one finished.
    Sorry, there's no English banner, I was mixed up with UBox.
    To call just put +86 to it.
    Post edited by 535four on
    Thanked by 1remy
  • I'm in the same predicament. Should I fork out $99 for the new box or find another replacement?

Any suggestions?

I have thought about paying for a vpn service and try to use TVB's new myTV service. If we could fool TVB that we are located in Hong Kong, then technically we should be able to access their HK services for free.

Would this work? I have no experience with vpns so don't know whether it'll work, but after the end of this month, I'm willing to pay for one month of vpn to try it out.
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    @fei You have pay monthly fee for the mytv super box and I think they are also tied to resident internet service like how HBO/ESPN does it in the US.

• I'm in the same predicament. Should I fork out $99 for the new box or find another replacement?

Any suggestions?

If you don't have another box, $99 is worth it to try.

• @fei You have pay monthly fee for the mytv super box and I think they are also tied to resident internet service like how HBO/ESPN does it in the US.

What about just using the web service and not the actual box? You can even access the mytv app on iPhone or android but only in HK. If we use a vpn we should be able to use the app, unless they block vpns like netflix.

Any suggestions?

If you don't have another box, $99 is worth it to try.

Yes, I've considered this as well. Have you called the number? I dont speak Mandarin, and I'm not willing to just hand over my card details over the phone. If there were a way to pay by PayPal then I would.
  • I have not considered to upgrade this i7 'cause I have many boxes to play with. Call them up they might speak English you never know.
  • @fei, you may PM to danielyow, I believe he is a dealer for iPlayer and MoonBox, he might be able to help you.
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    I want to see the interface of the i7 before committing another $99...