Restore Factory Image for S800 to 20160126 (for the experienced)

THIS IS AN EXPERIMENT, YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN ON THIS

I just got this box to replace my in-laws dead TVPad2. As everything technology, I always evaluate them before I pass it along. I received my S800 Plus Oversea from an eBay reseller from Shenzhen and I suspected the device might have been modified as I was not able to load the UB Market after numerous resets and testings.

Since I am reading some conflicting info from Unblock Tech FB page and here about UB Market is breaking and needed to use the APKHelperH3 app... long story short, I decided to restore the factory firmware because I am an Android geek and I always played with my devices.

S800 uses an Allwinner H3 CPU, thus any tools designed fro Allwinner such as the Orange Pi will be quite compatible to it.

This is the Baidu Pan from UB FB page http://pan.baidu.com/share/home?uk=2654569005#category/type=0

I downloaded the S800-160127-s.img because it is consistent with the file naming structure from the support requests on their FB page. https://www.facebook.com/hkunblocktech/?fref=nf

The next tool is Phoenixcard, it is a utility to burn the IMG to a Micro SD card. The SD card will be needed to re-write the firmware to the box. I ran the Phoenixcard tool, selected the drive letter, chose the IMG file, clicked on the "Product" radio button and "BURN". The SD card was burned within 5 minutes.

This is the steps I took to write the firmware:
- Unplug the power cable
- Insert Micro SD card
- Plug the power cable
- Watch the progress bar on the TV until "Card OK" shown and box shuts down
- Unplug the power cable
- Plug the power cable

The box will go through the first boot sequence with Unblock logo shown for a few minutes, I was then presented the languages and immediately I was asked to update one of the program. UB Market works and I can use a few of the apps to look at TVB Pearl shows.

Looking at the About screen, it still says S800 Overseas.

To be fair, I am not sure if UB fixed their stuff or my method works, either way, I am happy I have a clean factory box to play with.

I am also happy I found a method to "restore" the device if I screwed it up as I am going to root the box so that I can remote into it.

Resources on my drive: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E48F81EF74C1A10C!142&authkey=!AKoCUI8tA4JJV10&ithint=folder,

File Mirror:

h3-anbo-s800-20160325-s: https://mega.nz/#!ORsFTLZC!JY9qhTQ0bmf1KQwpwQ91OmTP9eO36oQvY8y4RlAnVE4

Phoenix Card: https://mega.nz/#!GB0TxZbb!8Ibl53PkMV9J__vh2JbVfLCS6hOHDWBdtZzcwmYUmf0

s800-160127-s.img: https://mega.nz/#!rE1hjRKA!p_FomMUrDPs6oueQ-RlxeWMyvwOPmzCsNeZlqfueXhY
Post edited by padman on

Comments

• Thanks Killer23d, it's very useful info.
  • I am surprised that there aren't anything on development of this box, it's the Allwinner H3 which is a common SoC used for generic TV boxes.

The next thing I will do is to root as I want to be able to remote into to via AirDroid or DroidMote.
    Thanked by 1535four
  • Yup...they never will, it usually found it from a supporting site forum or a good people like you to share. They want you to buy more boxes :dissapointed_relieved:
    I have had follow your instructions to re-flashed the firmware 'cause my box firmware was still dolphin_fvd_p1-eng 4.4.2 KOT49H 20151120 test-keys and can not be upgrade, thanks to you.
  • Yup...they never will, it usually found it from a supporting site forum or a good people like you to share. They want you to buy more boxes :dissapointed_relieved:
    I have had follow your instructions to re-flashed the firmware 'cause my box firmware was still dolphin_fvd_p1-eng 4.4.2 KOT49H 20151120 test-keys and can not be upgrade, thanks to you.
    Did it work?
  • Hi killer23d where can I find the img file for s800 without the plus version?
  • asianpadasianpad Junior Member
    Is there a Phoenixcard program for mac?
  • 535four535four Member
    edited March 2016
    Yup...they never will, it usually found it from a supporting site forum or a good people like you to share. They want you to buy more boxes :dissapointed_relieved:
    Did it work?
    Yes, killer, it works perfectly, thanks.
    Is that have another way to flash the firmware by just load the update zip to sd card and don't have to burn the .img to sd card?
    I have the iPlayer v5 did the firmwareInstall re-flashed successful, don't know if it can be done on Unblock.

• Yes, killer, it works perfectly, thanks.
    Is that have another way to flash the firmware by just load the update zip to sd card and don't have to burn the .img to sd card?
    I have the iPlayer v5 did the firmwareInstall re-flashed successful, don't know if it can be done on Unblock.
    I think this is the method they use in the factory to image the box. It will re-partition the device and reload everything to stock.

I find this box is very annoying that if I screw up anything during the flashing process, it will not boot; and I need to use the micro SD to reload and repeat.

To answer your question, technically it could be done but I am unable to port a custom recovery over (CWM or TWRP) to replace the Android 3E robot recovery. Once this part is done, I can make the whole ROM in ZIP format and you can flash it all you want even if the unit won't boot as it will boot to recovery if trouble. You can also backup all the partitions and your data there so only the system get reloaded during flash.

I also don't see a point doing ZIP update because I am unable to get it to connect to a PC directly. I think the OTG port on this box is disabled so I can't send any ADB command. Unless someone can show me how to enable OTG on any of the USB port, this project is going to be as stuck as it will be.

During my investigation, TV box that is equivalent to Unblock is about $40. There are the Ziddo X1 and Beelink X2.. lol.. so we are paying a premium on a cheap box and hope they deliver the contents.
  • Thanks much for your detailed explanation.
    Thanked by 1siva9830
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    Updated the OP with file mirror
    Thanked by 1siva9830
  • edited March 2016
    Thanks for the files.
    Post edited by siva9830 on
  • bamby8bamby8 Junior Member
    edited March 2016
    What is the version of the winlauncher in the ROM image prior to updating?
    Post edited by bamby8 on
    Thanked by 1siva9830
  • What is the version of the winlauncher in the ROM image prior to updating?
    I didn't keep note of it but it is definitely before 3.3.1 as it is a Jan 2015 built.
    Does the ROM image alter the MAC address of the UBox?

I understand UB uses the MAC address to authorise their boxes or apps. I presume anyone who installs this ROM image does not end up sharing the same MAC address ?
  • Does the ROM image alter the MAC address of the UBox?

I understand UB uses the MAC address to authorise their boxes or apps. I presume anyone who installs this ROM image does not end up sharing the same MAC address ?
    No, the MAC address is hard coded into the hardware and all you can do is spoof it with software, I have yet to see great success these days with spoofing MAC address on Android. The hardware are just so cheap that no one cares.
  • DWDW Junior Member
    Do you guys know if this method of restoring to factory will work if my box is:

Model: Global_Edition_S800
    Hardware version: homlet4.4.2-h3-v1.0
    CPU: 3.4.39 hush1305@ubuntu12-64#10
    Version: dolphin_fvd_p1-eng 4.4.2 KOT49H 20160325 test-keys

I keep getting the popup to upgrade to the latest version but it will just keep disappearing and reappearing and I could leave get it to download.
    edited March 2016
    This winlauncher issue is discussed in this thread. Killer23d speculates the issue lies last week's OTA update for the firmware.

http://tvpadtalk.ca/discussion/675/ub-launcher-3-3-4-ota-20160325-update#latest

It occurs to me whether it is as simple as to use the h3-anbo-s800-20160325-s.zip file which contains 3.3.4, to manually 'reapply' the recent OTA update, using the 'Upgrade' app to update from 'Local' even though it is supposedly previously installed.

Post edited by bamby8 on
  • This winlauncher issue is discussed in this thread. Killer23d speculates the issue lies last week's OTA update for the firmware.

http://tvpadtalk.ca/discussion/675/ub-launcher-3-3-4-ota-20160325-update#latest

It occurs to me whether it is as simple as to use the h3-anbo-s800-20160325-s.zip file which contains 3.3.4, to manually 'reapply' the recent OTA update, using the 'Upgrade' app to update from 'Local' even though it is supposedly previously installed.

Your are on the right track, we can first try to uninstall the 3.3.4 update under Settings -> Applications. Then use the Update app to apply the OTA. Once it's back up and running, if the prompt to update to 3.3.4 still shows up, that mean something weird is going on there.

• Do you guys know if this method of restoring to factory will work if my box is:

Model: Global_Edition_S800
    Hardware version: homlet4.4.2-h3-v1.0
    CPU: 3.4.39 hush1305@ubuntu12-64#10
    Version: dolphin_fvd_p1-eng 4.4.2 KOT49H 20160325 test-keys

I keep getting the popup to upgrade to the latest version but it will just keep disappearing and reappearing and I could leave get it to download.
    I would think so because that is exact the model I have. When I took apart the OTA update, it will apply only to "dolphin_fvd_p1" devices. I am under the assumption both the S800 and S800 Plus contains the same name. UB Box Gen 1 definitely has a different name.
  • I bought a Ubox from a source in Toronto and it has been working although I have been through the numerous updates and upgrades in the past month.

Last week I returned from Hong Kong with another Ubox. I used the apps install (generation 2) button to install a bunch of apps, of course including the UBTV apps. when I run the UBTV apps, it opened a web browser instead of the live channels. Has anyone experienced this? Do you think this can be fixed with a firmware image restore?