How to setup VPN on router

XChemicalXChemical Member
edited December 2015 in TVPad / BlueTV
My setup is using two router, but you can do it to one router if you don't mind changing out of the vpn on the router. Like I say before I use 2 router and my setup look like this. On the side note someone say installing vpn app on the tvpad works, but you can't cold reboot the tvpad or it will cause the wifi and Ethernet to get buggy, and the only way to fix it is to restore the tvpad and then load all the apps back on it.
Note: You will need some knowledge on how to connect onto your router.
The following ip subnet set is an example. Some knowledge of how to configure IP is needed or seek help from guides that involves on how to configure ip's with routers.

zsdOIkk.png

Note: This setup only requires manual ip input on the second router for the VPN as shown in the examples below.

Netgear:
1. set internet login to yes
2. set router to PPTP
3. put in VPN username and password
4. VPN server host name your going to connect to

vvQ2zYd.png

Linksys:
1. set internet connect type to PPTP
2. set VPN server ip your going to connect to if you don't know what is the ip you can ping the host name
3. set VPN username and password

GFSogVX.png

Note:
If app is not working try to update it using the n+ store because the old app don't know where the new server is.
If some apps don't work put a DNS on the TVPAD seem like some apps only work with host name from tvpad
Post edited by XChemical on

Comments

• vangoodsvangoods Junior Member
    edited November 2015
    two router same ip range? 192.168.1.X ?
  • XChemicalXChemical Member
    edited November 2015
    the dhcp on the router will auto assign ip to the second router. you just have to plug it in.

vangoods Wrote:
    > two router same ip range? 192.168.1.X ?
  • Almighty1Almighty1 Member
    edited November 2015
    You can also use a computer as a router with free fast vpn via vpngate provided both the computer and tvpad has wifi.

http://tvpadtalk.com/3/591/how_to_connect_vpn_using_computer_and_tvpad__both_needs_wifi
  • meyerovbmeyerovb Junior Member
    edited November 2015
    I can't get this to work on my netgear r6300 (connected to a fios actiontec router). Here is the config the r6300 gets upon initialization: http://i.snag.gy/rT46E.jpg

I made 192.168.1.13 DMZ on the fios router, but doing PPTP still doesn't give me any internet connection on the r6300. I'm using tigervpn.
    edited November 2015
    The picture you post don't really show us how you setup the vpn and it look like your using a netgear follow the netgear instructions and you should be able to do it. I'm using purevpn on a HK server the speed is great.

aCMvTQz.png

meyerovb Wrote:
    > I can't get this to work on my netgear r6300
    > (connected to a fios actiontec router). Here is
    > the config the r6300 gets upon initialization:
    > http://i.snag.gy/rT46E.jpg
    >
    > I made 192.168.1.13 DMZ on the fios router, but
    > doing PPTP still doesn't give me any internet
    > connection on the r6300. I'm using tigervpn.
  • isumaisuma Junior Member
    edited November 2015
    every time i turn off tvpad my dns auto reset back 192.168.1 how can keep DNS in 49.313.xxxx after i change.
    edited November 2015
    What tvpad and firmware.

isuma Wrote:
    > every time i turn off tvpad my dns auto reset back
    > 192.168.1 how can keep DNS in 49.313.xxxx
    > after i change.
  • otcsofakingotcsofaking Junior Member
    edited November 2015
    .313 is wrong it is too high. It should be 213
  • EinEin Just Watchin`
    edited November 2015
    On the Asus router with Merlin firmware. One doesn't need two routers. The firmware on the router can specify which device connected to the router will use the VPN, so all you other devices are not affected. You do not want everything going through the VPN to HK if you want to play on line games :).

riyvqu.png
    edited November 2015
    Same thing with the Netgear R7000 which runs XWRT Vortex port of the ASUS Merlin firmware for the ASUS RT-68R/U.

What do you have for the Custom Configuration box on the bottom?

zOqFzYv.jpg
  • EinEin Just Watchin`
    edited November 2015
    tls-client
    remote-cert-tls server
    reneg-sec 0

Those above shown up in the custom Config after I pasted the "ca.rt" file into the "Content modification of Keys & Certificates."

We have a different VPN provider, so it might be different?
    edited November 2015
    Thanks Ein. I didn't get the VPN working yet since vpngate works fine from the computer which I am using as a WiFi hotspot router but I haven't yet figured out how to get the VPN working on the router, I just know if I had ipv6 running, OpenVPN would not even work as it keeps complaining about a routing conflict. Both of us have the exact same ASUS Merlin software with comparable hardware except mines is ported to the Netgear Nighthawk R7000. The 68P is the router with the faster processor. The 68R and 68U are the same routers as U is sold Universally and R is sold by Retailers like Best Buy. I actually have a RT-68R too. Thanks for the original post on how to use only one router by VPNing only those clients that need it, guess this is a cool feature of the ASUS Merlin firmware, wonder if the original ASUS firmware has that feature as well or if this is something RMerlin added. Did you use the .ovpn config file supplied to you by the VPN provider to get the configuration and only enter the username/password?
  • EinEin Just Watchin`
    edited November 2015
    I don't know if the factory firmware has the option for selective VNP? I started using Merlin from day one.

Yes, I used the OpenVPN set up files provided and the PW and login they gave. The important part is to open the "ca.crt" file with a text editor and copy and paste the contents into "Certificate Authority" field. I have IPv6 enabled and have no issue.

14o9gs4.png

j5fb61.png
  • tvpadmustlivetvpadmustlive Junior Member
    edited December 2015
    Hi XChemical,

1. on the Netgear genie setup, what do you put under "My IP Address" and "Subnet Mask" between step 3 and step 4?

2. On step 4, does the VPN server has to be china, Taiwan or Singapore where the region is not restricted or can it be US servers?

3. Are there any free VPN service that provides username and password for public use? are those good to use or no?

sorry I am a newbie and trying to learn something things here.