How to permanently activate the green man on TVPad1

Disclaimer: If you decide to install or use the custom TVPad1 firmware mentioned below, then you are doing so at your own risk. You agree that no one other than yourself will be liable for any damages or loss of data that may be incurred as a result of installing this firmware.

Now that we got the legal stuff out of the way, there are three methods to enable the little green man icon on your TVPad1 devices.

=== The Dead Easy Way ===
Download this file. Unzip it on a USB stick and insert it in your TVPad1 device. That's it =) This will give you root access as well. You can telnet to port 23 or FTP to port 21 using username root and password tvpad. Also unlike the custom firmware option below, this method does not require a network connection to be available.

=== Custom Firmware ===
This is the custom firmware version 3.27 which enables the green man on TVPad1 even when the TVPad authentication servers are down. You will then be able to run apps again on your TVPad1. This firmware will also give you root access. It can be found here. Root username is root and the password is password (yes I know, very original). You can telnet to port 23 or FTP to port 21 for access. This firmware is only recommended for those people with a TVPad1 (M121 / M121S) where the green man won't turn on anymore, thus making you unable to run any apps. If the little green man is on, then there is no need to install this firmware. Keep in mind that (unlike with TVPad2/3) you will have to re-install your apps again after the firmware upgrade. Of course this will not help with the live stream and VOD apps if they are down (not the purpose of this custom firmware), but at least you will then be able to use the Phanto and TMP apps on your TVPad1 device.

Once you install this firmware, you can install and run this app to downgrade the firmware version back to 3.26.

=== For The Hackers ===
For technical people (hackers) only:
For those with a rooted TVPad unit, here you can find the individual fix for the green man issue.

Simply copy id to /home/config and run loginforce. I normally first kill the original login process though (e.g. killall login) to prevent it from somehow turning the green man off again. The loginforce binary is a modified /home/program/login binary. In the custom firmware I simply replaced it.
Post edited by Phantoman on

Comments

• Phantoman,

The filename seems to imply for M121S model. Does this firmware work for M121 as well?
  • edited January 2016
    Phantoman,

The filename seems to imply for M121S model. Does this firmware work for M121 as well?
    Yes, the firmware for the M121 and M121S are identical. Simply rename the file and replace M121S by M121 (it depends what the model ID is in Settings -> System Info) . I just installed it on a M121 today without any issues.

Some people have also installed the 3.26 firmware successfully on their M120, but that has a different hardware to the M121/M121S models, so not something I would recommend.
    Thanked by 3Tikus tarzan01 tvbolon
  • Hi Phantoman, I have a TVPad M120 with Firmware 3.26, is it possible for you to create a hacked Firmware for M120 too? Thank you. =)
  • tvbolontvbolon Junior Member
    edited January 2016
    DONE, got it work.
    Post edited by tvbolon on
  • cheuk5cheuk5 Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    Yes I use this file upgrade to 3.27 the green man is back reinstall all apps my pad1 fell happy now :3 :p Thanks!
    edited January 2016
    can you help me out by how you did it? I upgraded but no green man and the version still 3.26
    Yes I use this file upgrade to 3.26 the green man is back reinstall all apps my pad1 fell happy now :3 :p Thanks!
    Post edited by tvbolon on
    can you help me out by how you did it? I upgraded but no green man and the version still 3.27
    Yes I use this file upgrade to 3.26 the green man is back reinstall all apps my pad1 fell happy now :3 :p Thanks!
    You just download the zip file from Mr.Phantoman above, unzip to root of flash drive (fat32) then update your pad 1 to 3.27
    I still can't get it work, but quick question after u see the green man on <> are you able to watch all apps? or you still need a vpn or paid dns service to be able to watch?
    thanks
    can you help me out by how you did it? I upgraded but no green man and the version still 3.27
    You just download the zip file from Mr.Phantoman above, unzip to root of flash drive (fat32) then update your pad 1 to 3.27
  • tvpad121tvpad121 Junior Member
    tvbolon, if your version is not 3.27 after upgrade, it probably didn't upgrade successfully.
    I still can't get it work, but quick question after u see the green man on <> are you able to watch all apps? or you still need a vpn or paid dns service to be able to watch?
    thanks
    Yes after the green man light up I still need to change a good DNS for all apps running. B)
  • redgolfredgolf Junior Member
    edited January 2016
    Hi, I've upgraded to v3.27
    Where can I download the latest apps for tvpad1 please ?

I found it.. All working great ..
    MANY THANKS
    Post edited by redgolf on
  • thanks , working great now =)
  • Hi Phantoman, I have a TVPad M120 with Firmware 3.26, is it possible for you to create a hacked Firmware for M120 too? Thank you. =)
    If your M120 is on firmare 3.26, then you do not need any special firmware for the M120. AFAIK TVPad never released firmware 3.26 for the M120, so users simply renamed the firmware file and upgraded their M120 devices. Go into Settings -> System Info and check the Model ID. For example it would say M121S_3311_GVOS2. So this has to be in the firmware file name, for example creatent_usb_update_M121S_3311_GVOS2.tar.

I doubt it, but if your Model ID still says M120, then rename the firmware file name to match the Model ID.

And as I mentioned at the beginning, I would not recommend it for M120. Still, if you succeed then let others know.
    As mentioned by tvpad121, the upgrade did not succeed. Did you get a message saying that the upgrade succeeded ? Otherwise provide more details of what messages you got when you tried the upgrade.

• SomebodySomebody Junior Member
    Yes I use this file upgrade to 3.27 the green man is back reinstall all apps my pad1 fell happy now :3 :p Thanks!
    Are you saying that your TVP1 was not working with no green man but when you upgraded to this firmware and reinstalled the apps they were all working? From Phantoman's write up I thought only the third party/hacked apps like Phanto and TMP would work? Thanks

• If your M120 is on firmare 3.26, then you do not need any special firmware for the M120. AFAIK TVPad never released firmware 3.26 for the M120, so users simply renamed the firmware file and upgraded their M120 devices. Go into Settings -> System Info and check the Model ID. For example it would say M121S_3311_GVOS2. So this has to be in the firmware file name, for example creatent_usb_update_M121S_3311_GVOS2.tar.
    I doubt it, but if your Model ID still says M120, then rename the firmware file name to match the Model ID.
    And as I mentioned at the beginning, I would not recommend it for M120. Still, if you succeed then let others know.
    Hi Phantoman, I am sure my box is the first generation M120 (without card reader). TVPad did released a 3.26 firmware for M120 two years ago on their forums. I still have the M120 3.26 upgrade file. The file name is "creatent_usb_update_M120_3301_GVOS2.tar". Maybe I can send this upgrade file to you for investigation? Thank you.
    edited January 2016
    Hi,
    Yes, I try again this morning to upgraded w/o changing the < S > in M121S (since my pad1 is M121) and my version is 3.27 now (downgraded to 3.26 using provided app) and green man is on, installed all apps for pad1 but none working if not using good dns. Also apps will not load sometime and I have to power off and on for apps to load again.
    anyway thanks again for all your hard work getting green man back online.
  • edited January 2016
    Are you saying that your TVP1 was not working with no green man but when you upgraded to this firmware and reinstalled the apps they were all working? From Phantoman's write up I thought only the third party/hacked apps like Phanto and TMP would work? Thanks
    It will allow you to run all the apps again, but also read cheuk5's follow-up comment:
    Yes after the green man light up I still need to change a good DNS for all apps running. B)

Hi Phantoman, I am sure my box is the first generation M120 (without card reader). TVPad did released a 3.26 firmware for M120 two years ago on their forums. I still have the M120 3.26 upgrade file. The file name is "creatent_usb_update_M120_3301_GVOS2.tar". Maybe I can send this upgrade file to you for investigation? Thank you.
    Yeah I see that as well now ( http://www.tvpadfans.cn/thread-39756-1-1.html ). Then I do not remember the exact reason why some of the people on the clubtvpad forum used the M121 firmware on their M120 units.

Now even if you send the firmware to me or I download it for that matter, there is no way for me to test it beforehand since I do not own a M120 unit. Maybe someone who has a rooted M120 can test if the fix works on the M120 as well. I'm pretty certain it will work though. Anyway, it's not like you have anything to lose right ? Just close your eyes and perform the upgrade using the M121 firmware :)
  • When I tried to upgrade the firmware to v3.27 on my M121S TvPad via Settings -> Update systems,
    TVPad recognized the file in the USB drive, but immediately threw this error:
    "Upgrade failed! - Check server version failed!"

I am sure I downloaded the zip file correctly and extracted to the root of a clean USB stick. In this case, what I have done wrong? Do I need to modify anything in the .tar file before the upgrade procedure?

The TVPad's firmware is v3.26, but was not connected to internet during the upgrade attempt. Does this upgrade process needs active internet connect while doing so?
  • Does this upgrade process needs active internet connect while doing so?
    Don't remember if you need to be connected, but it does check some URL on the Internet during the upgrade process. So maybe that's what is throwing the error.
  • fustratedfustrated TV Nuts
    edited January 2016
    I hooked up the TVPad to internet via ethernet, manually changed the DNS to 49.x (without VPN) and retried the upgrade procedure.

This time, the upgrade progress bar sticked around a little bit longer, (looks like the OS was verifying
    some info), but ultimately the same 'Upgrade failed' message was thrown.

Would somebody who have successfully upgraded to v3.27 recently advise on how you get the upgrade to work? Also, what was the DNS setting while do so, and whether you need to connected to specific VPN server at the time.

I am sure I am doing the upgrade correctly, but maybe there is 1 or 2 minor detail missing on my part.

Sorry to bother you guys, but I appreciate all the help.