Which box to get?

edited June 2018 in Off Topic Discussion
My parents were using the BlueTV box however TVPad has now closed down so I was wondering which box to get now for them, HTV A2, FunTV or UBox?

Thanks
Post edited by padman on

Comments

• get the ubox newest version. upro. the only tvbox company that haven't take people's money and run. i have the ubox3, ubox4 and upro. all still working.
  • TVBullshitTVBullshit Junior Member
    I agree. I've had the Unblock Gen-2 for over 2 yrs now. I had maybe 2-3 days out of the 2 yrs where TVB wasn't working. The only problem is Replay skips and they haven't fixed it. You have to clean the memory once in a while if channels aren't working. I use Kodi Azdrama Add-On for replays. A solid product.
  • get the ubox newest version. upro. the only tvbox company that haven't take people's money and run. i have the ubox3, ubox4 and upro. all still working.
    You say it bro..Now I have version 2, 3 and pro, a trusty company with a bad rating :s
  • Not sure about FunTV as they are a new company but I heard they are the same company as HTV.

HTV5/A2 are reliable but it is very hard to get one now as not many sellers are selling them.
  • edited June 2018
    get the ubox newest version. upro. the only tvbox company that haven't take people's money and run. i have the ubox3, ubox4 and upro. all still working.
    You say it bro..Now I have version 2, 3 and pro, a trusty company with a bad rating :s
    bad rating only from padman lol. he did the review before the uvod all-in-one app came out and never went back to revise it. ubox is the most popular tv box on fb groups and chinatown shops this past year.
    Thanked by 1535four
  • edited June 2018
    i didn't know bluetv was dead until seeing many comments on here. mine was just sitting there collecting dust for the past 2 months. i was one of he first people on here that bought the bluetv. had it for over 2 years. can't complain. got my money's worth.
    edited June 2018
    If you are in Hong Kong, highly recommended SafeProSys. Mr. Man set up my boxes and offer me a competitive price. Many oversea customers go there for set-top boxes. He has a direct contact with UB. His website has changed recently and I think it is because of the current crackdown. I found out about them through Chan hang yan on YouTube. I would wait until after the World Cup before buying. Attacks on boxes usually happen around this time. If I recall, TVPad had DOS attacks and went down around this time a couple of years ago.

Does anyone have EvPad? Mr. Chan seems to be using it on his YouTube channel but he doesn't watch TVB much. I am only looking for reliable TVB streams.

Check out my 3 threads about the current crackdown and the interesting article about who's behind it. They are using dirty tactics and probably hiring hackers from China to attack boxes.

https://geoexpat.com/forum/123/thread348493.html
    Post edited by TVBullshit on
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    There is no revision needed. I actually play with it again couple weeks ago (2018) and the GUI is still a mess. It is not user friendly one bit.

If you are tech savvy enough then it is a good product and it's evident based on your reply. Otherwise, 100% stand by my review.

It's also pretty naive to think Ubox won't pull the same thing as TVPad. At the end of the say, bandwidth cost money and more popular means a bigger target on their back.
    get the ubox newest version. upro. the only tvbox company that haven't take people's money and run. i have the ubox3, ubox4 and upro. all still working.
    bad rating only from padman lol. he did the review before the uvod all-in-one app came out and never went back to revise it. ubox is the most popular tv box on fb groups and chinatown shops this past year.
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    I have the EVPad Pro 4k, it works. It's basically just a Moonbox.

And there's no more North American channels for it anymore.

Does anyone have EvPad? Mr. Chan seems to be using it on his YouTube channel but he doesn't watch TVB much. I am only looking for reliable TVB streams.

I think GUI is a personal thing. Some will never go from Android to IOS and vice versa. I have not tried other boxes so I can’t compare. I am happy with my Ubox and I know it will eventually go down just like any other box. There is no one here in this forum that can guarantee one box will last longer than another. This is why I am considering an EVPad as a 2nd box.
    Thanked by 1535four
  • What are your thoughts on FunTV and are they the same company as HTV?
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    No doubt it is a personal thing. But a lot of people buy these boxes for their parents and not for their personal use. At the end of the day, if you somewhat know what you are doing there is no need to buy these boxes whatsoever. However, people want easy to use experience and GUI is one important factor.
    I think GUI is a personal thing. Some will never go from Android to IOS and vice versa. I have not tried other boxes so I can’t compare. I am happy with my Ubox and I know it will eventually go down just like any other box. There is no one here in this forum that can guarantee one box will last longer than another. This is why I am considering an EVPad as a 2nd box.
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    Different company from what I'm seeing.
    What are your thoughts on FunTV and are they the same company as HTV?
    I think the reason was as I'd remember he mentions that they refused to send him a free box for him to review.
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Actually no, I asked them for a review unit of the upad after I reviewed the Ubox. Which they didn't want to.

If you think that's the reason I gave them a bad review, then LOL...

I wasn't into paying for another product from them after my bad experience with Ubox 2.

I also reiterated my reasons a few months ago why I gave it such low score, which you just brushed it off.

Although, I like your continuous grudge on me because I discount your product you love. Time to let it go perhaps... ?
    Well, based on Padman's threads, his htv5 was working fine on his end, he should helping you guys out but kept silence.
    I think the reason was as I'd remember he mentions that they refused to send him a free box for him to review.
  • Actually no, I asked them for a review unit of the upad after I reviewed the Ubox. Which they didn't want to.

If you think that's the reason I gave them a bad review, then LOL...

I wasn't into paying for another product from them after my bad experience with Ubox 2.

I also reiterated my reasons a few months ago why I gave it such low score, which you just brushed it off.

Although, I like your continuous grudge on me because I discount your product you love. Time to let it go perhaps... ?
    Well, based on Padman's threads, his htv5 was working fine on his end, he should helping you guys out but kept silence.
    No hard feeling man...I know you are a good man when you'd first offered me to purchased the iPlayer for me years ago, I appreciated that. However, I love your forum even we have an different opinions. Cheers!
  • diyguydiyguy Junior Member
    So padman, after reading different comments from this forum and your product review, looks like HTV5-A2 is the box to get.
    Are you HTV3 owners having issues with the Cantonese Playback app? Mostly, I just watch TVB Jade channel and TVB news channel. The live streaming has no issues, just the Playback app is having problem. It stops for buffering every 10 to 15 seconds and there is a banner announcement on the top that they are having problem with the international networks and that they found the problem and in the process of fixing it. But that message has been on display since May 16. Maybe HTV5 does not have this problem?

I am thinking of buying the newer HTV5-A2 and want to see if this problem occurs also in the newer model. I live in Los Angeles. so to find out, I recently sent an inquiry (request #64051, 64666) to HTV-box.com support asking about the latest problems with Playback buffering but received no response from them. All I got was an auto-reply email that it will be reviewed by their support staff.
  • So padman, after reading different comments from this forum and your product review, looks like HTV5-A2 is the box to get.
    Are you HTV3 owners having issues with the Cantonese Playback app? Mostly, I just watch TVB Jade channel and TVB news channel. The live streaming has no issues, just the Playback app is having problem. It stops for buffering every 10 to 15 seconds and there is a banner announcement on the top that they are having problem with the international networks and that they found the problem and in the process of fixing it. But that message has been on display since May 16. Maybe HTV5 does not have this problem?

I am thinking of buying the newer HTV5-A2 and want to see if this problem occurs also in the newer model. I live in Los Angeles. so to find out, I recently sent an inquiry (request #64051, 64666) to HTV-box.com support asking about the latest problems with Playback buffering but received no response from them. All I got was an auto-reply email that it will be reviewed by their support staff.
    Someone said that the new A3 is coming out soon. Either wait and see or get the Upro. At least these 2 company have a good history.
  • I think the Unblock tech's UPRO is the best way to go for. For the elderly, I think the best way to go is to SUBSCRIBE!!!
  • tomato123tomato123 Show Producer
    I actually bought a ubox for my parent month ago when the BlueTV was down. They are pretty happy with ubox and the GUI is as simple to use. I just show my mom one time and she already know how to use it.
    No doubt it is a personal thing. But a lot of people buy these boxes for their parents and not for their personal use. At the end of the day, if you somewhat know what you are doing there is no need to buy these boxes whatsoever. However, people want easy to use experience and GUI is one important factor.