Which way to go: new Blue TV vs. TVPad4+TVChina ?

fustratedfustrated TV Nuts
edited July 2017 in TVPad / BlueTV
All,
Now TVPad4+TVChina app options costs about $70 USD per year (if Cantonese programming is all you cared about)
A new BlueTV cost about $140 with free Cantonese programming included

Would there be any advantage on continuously using TVPad4 over buying a new BlueTV which is actually an slightly improved device hardware wise?

I figured a new BlueTV (if working for 2 years down the road) will be equal the cost of TVPad4+TVChina, and the 3 year onward will be all gravy.
Is it worth the gamble on buying a BlueTV now?

Thanks for your input in advance.

Comments

• edited July 2017
    The thing is we don't know how long TVChina/BlueTV will last, if BlueTV let say cost $140 and last for 2 years then it is $70 for a year but what if TVChina stops after a year then you will need to buy a different box so $60 for a year TVChina subscription and then $100+ for new box that you already missed a year watching if you know what I mean so it is a gamble at the moment.
    Thanked by 1fustrated
  • None of these android boxes last forever. But they are better value than subscribing to a major telecom provider. My telecom bill was $180 at one time. Cut the cord completely. If you can get 2 years of usage, then it's a good deal.
    Thanked by 1fustrated
  • tomato123tomato123 Show Producer
    i would say it's better to get tvchina if you already has tvpad4. my guess is after certain time like half year or so, bluetv will became subscription too.
    Thanked by 1fustrated
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    @tomato123 Yea, no doubt bluetv will eventually go in as a subscription model. Just the matter of when. Especially now they have a platform to sell their subscription on, it will be very easy for them.
    Thanked by 1fustrated
  • All,
    I guess for now the best option is to hold off on pursuing any TVPad/BlueTV devices until the situation becomes more stabilized.

Since I have an A2 box, I can still provide my family with their need to watch Chinese programming.

Thanks again for your feedback.
  • I hate the subscription model. TVpad and Blue don't have any customer service. One reason I cut the cord with Rogers was because of it's gawd awful customer service. I want no contact with the provider. I don't know how Tvpad works with customers, but they had a network of dealers to sell the hardware. Then they washed their hands of any responsibility. I knew what I was getting into. How will Tvpad deal with customers service when they go the subscription model? How do you reach them? They aren't amazon or netflix.
  • edited July 2017
    I hate the subscription model. TVpad and Blue don't have any customer service. One reason I cut the cord with Rogers was because of it's gawd awful customer service. I want no contact with the provider. I don't know how Tvpad works with customers, but they had a network of dealers to sell the hardware. Then they washed their hands of any responsibility. I knew what I was getting into. How will Tvpad deal with customers service when they go the subscription model? How do you reach them? They aren't amazon or netflix.

• Thanks for the contacts. I never found any contact info on tvpad. Furthermore, I never got those warning messages of service shutdown.
  • ZipoZipo Junior Member
    Is Tvchina parter with TVB?? Otherwise you think TVB will allowed someone selling their programs for subscription now?? Just wonder.
  • Thanks for the contacts. I never found any contact info on tvpad. Furthermore, I never got those warning messages of service shutdown.
    In June, they had this popup message on TVPad 4.

Is Tvchina parter with TVB?? Otherwise you think TVB will allowed someone selling their programs for subscription now?? Just wonder.
    No, TVChina is not partnered with TVB but all TVB can do is just sue TVChina like they did with TVPad and HTV.

• padmanpadman Moderator
    @SitouDien subscription model is only way for the company to survive and even when you were just buying the box prior. You are still paying for that subscription. The cost of it is just embedded in the full price.
  • @padman , I agree with your assessment on the subscription model. This would be the viable business model for any media streaming company for long term sustainability.
    I hope the business team behind the box (Create Technology) provides a better customer service to customers going forward instead of the spotty service like they provide currently.
    Otherwise, this subscription model will be viewed by worldwide customers as a new way of money grab for the company,
    Think Amazon... Think Netflix...
  • Forget about the customer service whoever is, they're not going to give you any solution because it's still a illegal operations, they don't know who are you, think about it. The only way to get support is sub to a legal firm.
  • talking about customer service lol. keep in mind that they cannot see the light. even on wechat or email, they decide if they want to answer your question or not. they can sell as many subscriptions as possible and run after 3 months. just look at moonbox. big sale on their new boxes around christmas holiday, change to subscription base about 2 months later. where are they now?
  • talking about customer service lol. keep in mind that they cannot see the light. even on wechat or email, they decide if they want to answer your question or not. they can sell as many subscriptions as possible and run after 3 months. just look at moonbox. big sale on their new boxes around christmas holiday, change to subscription base about 2 months later. where are they now?
    Hopefully with the new money coming in, they will beef up the customer service department and the streaming infrastructure to provide a more reliable service to the worldwide customers.
  • cheuk5cheuk5 Senior Member
    I don't go any new device. As long the Tvchina app working.I am happy to boxuse that apps in a cheapest box.
  • I think if you can get at least 2 years of use from your box, then that's gravy. Even with all the crappy interface, poor service, and outages. This is still an illegal operation and wouldn't feel right paying for a subscription to some unknown guy in the shadows. When this business comes crashing down, I'll bet there will be new technology to replace it. I've been here before. I used to to have a unsupported satellite dish. Dish is legal. Downloaded a free code to unlock the airwaves. That lasted for 18 months.
  • tvchina ,TVPAD,BLUETV 內容一樣,證明同一公司,如果BLUETV比人封殺,所有一樣下場,冇乜2 年3 年,TVPAD 成日話人合作,但系版權費甘貴,可能性極低。可以睇就睇,冇法。
  • I don't go any new device. As long the Tvchina app working.I am happy to boxuse that apps in a cheapest box.
    都岩。不過tvchina 吾stable。
  • Yes, this is the exact reason why I stay off Create Technology products (TVPad, BlueTV, TVChina) for a while until this mess is sorted out.